Tuesday 15 April 2008

Quilt Update #1

Well I've actually started on my quilt! I usually work a lot better under last minute pressure but I really wanted to get on with this - probably cause I don't know how long it's going to take me to get it right!

I bought some fabric off Etsy - won't say where just yet just in case my swap partner Clare is as nosey as I am ;o) I didn't buy it for the quilt but it just so happens to fit in with Clare's colour preferences, I washed it (holding my breath nearly) and ironed it, looked at it and thought about it.......quite a few times, I planned it in my head (hoho) and cut it out, I was going to get my machine out but D#2 woke up from her nap so that put pay to that! I'm hoping she'll have another sleep this afternoon (mainly cause she was up half the night) I'm struggling as to when you actually do the quilting bit but I'm sure I'll work it out. I did find this really good binding tutorial from Heather Bailey not sure if I'm confident enough to try it yet being the quilting virgin that I am but I might surprise myself. I'm really really puzzled over how to do the labelling with all the info I'm meant to so if anyone has any top tips feel free to help me out of the mire share them.

2 comments:

Locket Pocket said...

I'm a rubbish label-ler (?) which is why I deliberately put it on as part of the swap - to make me do it too! All I'm doing is writing on the back in a wash-proof quilty-type pen. Don't let the label become a burden though! Lucy x

quiltdude said...

ooooh sounds very interesting. What I'm going to do for the label is backstitch the lettering onto a small piece of cotton then applique it onto the back of the quilt, but I have just written it on with a pigma pen in the past. It all looks the same in the end :)
That's the bit I'm up to now, too darn fast for my own good eh!